Sunday, December 11, 2016

My dad.

While the pain of losing my dad right before Thanksgiving is still raw and surreal, I feel compelled to share a little about the week we said goodbye. Unexpectedly and painfully we lost my dad on November 10th. It is still so hard to believe and will be as far as I can imagine. It's so hard to put into words so I will share some pictures and a post I shared on Facebook. His loss affects so many, and we all feel the pain of losing him. The support and love we have is amazing and gives us a bright spot for the future. He is missed terribly, it hurts, but he is no longer dealing with the pain he endured everyday. Even though Michigan may not be winning every game here on earth, you can bet he watches Michigan win every Saturday up there in heaven!

Some of my most favorite pictures. We found the best pictures of him!








 This was the last time I saw him and hugged him. So thankful I had that time with him.

My handsome dad. He was our rock. He was my first love. He taught me so much. As I got older and started my own family, I was so grateful for his sound advice. He was so proud of all four of us kids. He & my mom just celebrated 39 years, college sweethearts & best friends. They survived his 70's hair! They were such an inspiration to me & Jeremy. He ADORED Hannah & Owen. The three of them had a hidden stash of snacks that was always their secret ;) I'm so sad he never met Beau. But we'll have so many stories to tell him.
He would do anything for anyone & never ask for anything in return.  And gosh was he smart. He loved playing golf, Michigan football, horse racing & the beach. I will cherish the times we had at Seabrook, I'm so heartbroken he never got the chance to retire there. However, I know he's in heaven on a golf course on the beach, betting on horse races, listening to a Michigan game yelling "yeah baby!" every time they score!
He was the strongest person I've ever known. He beat cancer, tore his Achilles' tendon playing softball & still ran to first base, played golf a week after his first stroke (talk about stubborn!) He dealt with so many health problems from his cancer treatment but you'd never know. He never let anything stop him & he NEVER complained.
He'd hate all this crying over him, he'd say it's part of life. But we loved that man so much.
My heart is broken for my mom, but she's the strongest woman I know. We will get through this knowing one day, we'll see him again. I wish I could've hugged him one more time. We'll celebrate his life because that's what he would've wanted. Please pray for our family as we say goodbye to him. ❤️

Saying goodbye was extremely painful but the week we all shared together was good for the soul. We are the luckiest people because he was ours. I only wish everyone knew him. He was LOVED by so many. His celebration proved that to be true, so many people came out to support us, and share hilarious moments with Craig!

 A toast to Craig!
 Cookies that represent so many things he loved. If only he had made it to Seabrook, but we know he is there, pain free, waiting for us to join him one day.


Love you dad. I know he'd reply with "Love you Dod"