Tuesday, April 9, 2013

guest post: my mom

Here is a little guest post from my mom today. I had no idea how I would put into words the pain I felt when we pulled out of the airport yesterday. I realize we are all healthy and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that is before us, but it doesnt take away how hard it is to say goodbye to your best friend and the "granmommy" of your kids. Ive only felt pain like that two other times in my life- when my Bumpah passed away right before I graduated from college and when my dad was diagnosed with throat cancer. So to the average person I realize that saying goodbye isnt nearly as hard as losing someone you love or dealing with the awfulness that is cancer, but it was hard for ME. I felt so empty. It was like we were driving into this big city all by ourselves. Wait...thats exactly what it is. I shouldnt feel empty- I have the 3 absolute LOVES of my life to spend every day with but it was a weird feeling. My mom wrote a little post during her flight, which Im sure was one of the longest flights of her life. We miss everyone terribly- and I cant imagine how they feel on the other end. This morning Hannah asked me if I was sad because I was crying so much last night. Its hard to explain why. Even when we cant be together, we'll always have love and memories in our hearts.


Dear Hannah Elizabeth and Owen Craig,

            It really is true that the smallest things take up the biggest part of your heart. The day each of you was born my heart grew fuller than I ever thought possible.
That same heart is feeling a little wounded today as I leave you in your new home 1800 miles away. All of our hearts will until we are together again. And thank goodness it is 2013, because you are only a text message with photo, an emailed video, and a Skype away. Gramps would call that “Snipe.” Hannah, isn’t he silly?

            What joy it was in these last ten days to settle you into your new house. Owen, you crawled longer and faster, but not enough to wear even you out! The new playroom brought delight to each of you. Hannah, your babies missed you so much! You fed them, took them to the store, rocked them and read to them. Owen, you slept in your crib for most of a night! Hannah’s big girl bed is so comfy and roomy enough for a Granmommy. I have a feeling Daddy will be in there with you tonight!

            Your Mommy and Daddy have taken a big leap forward for you all as a family. Forward can sometimes take a zigzag route, like west 1800 miles! But your Daddy is well respected in his job and moving on up. Mommy has this time to spend home with you- be patient, sometimes she may feel a little crazy! But I know you have many mornings of Mickey, pjs till Daddy comes home, walks in the wagon, eggs and fruit for first breakfast, every snack in the pantry for second breakfast, jumping off the couch and on the bed. Keep talking to your avocado seeds. Check the water level every day. Which will you see first- root or stem?

            All of your family and friends in Kentucky feel a little empty without your bright eyes and smile, Owen. A few of us are wondering if you’ll ever get that first tooth! The next time we see you, you will be walking circles around Hannah. We can’t wait to meet you in the airport as you run around in a pair of new tennies!

            The Busy Bees friends aren’t the only ones missing you Hannie Beth. We wonder how Victoria is doing without you. You girls were truly BFFs, unless James or Liam was in the picture! Your Owensboro family wrapped you in love the last month. Wawa set up your new house with your Daddy- even telling the Easter Bunny where he could leave your baskets the day you arrived!

            There is a lot ahead of you in Las Bagus as you say Hannah. Story time at the library, days and days of sunshine (it really is a dry heat!), afternoons with Mommy and Daddy, and your first trip to Disneyland just 5 hours away. Your first visitors will be from your California family, the Knapps. As soon as Megan sees you Owen, she’s going to want one of her own!

Please pass this on to your Mommy and Daddy:

With all my love (and from everybody that knows and adores you, too)

Granmommy

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Winnie the Pooh quotes always seem to sum up feelings of love perfectly, don't they? I hope you all enjoying your new home and adjusting well! We miss you!

Elise

The Templeton's said...

Wow! I just cried and cried, how sweet, beautiful and so bittersweet. Been thinking of you all non stop!

Kim Adkins Kinsey said...

Well said Tina!!! We LOVE and MISS you guys so much already!