Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Christmas Vacation Part 3! The finale!

So we started our last week at the beach on Monday. We were leaving Friday the 2nd, we had been gone almost 3 weeks so the kids did need to be back in their routine. I could have stayed at the beach house forever. I mean, dont we all wish we could just live on a permanent vacation. I usually get bummed when we have to come back. That means back to routine and surviving in Vegas!

Monday we took a walk on the beach and my mom and I ran some errands with Owen. He's usually a pretty good little shopping buddy!


 Owen LOVES the beach. He just finds a spot and starts to dig!



Tuesday was one of the first days we will never forget...my mom and the kids and I all set out for the aquarium, we've been before but it's always nice to get the kids out for something fun. They were really good and had alot of fun. Except of course when we went to the 4D movie of "sea monsters". Scared them both to death, we had to walk out with both of them! Parent FAIL! ha ha.














We left the aquarium and grabbed some lunch in Charleston. Owen was great all day, seemed happy and healthy at the aquarium. He wasnt too hungry at lunch, but thats nothing new. Some days he eats alot, others he doesnt eat much. He fell asleep in my lap at lunch but that didnt shock me, it was his nap time and they had played hard. We came home and were all pretty beat so we just got in our pjs and we were ready to relax. The "big" kids as we call them, Lindsay and Matt, Alex and Elise had all set out for dinner in Charleston so we were going to just put a movie on for the kids and hang out.

I noticed how warm Owen felt, and of course I brought tylenol and the head scanner thermometer but it stopped working, it said his fever was only 77. I dont think so! His core just felt so hot and his hands were FREEZING. So we gave him tylenol and got his pj's off. We decided to put him in the bath to cool him but he wasnt having it. He was screaming. So we got some cool wash cloths and started to wipe him down. He was not having that either. So I took him upstairs to calm him down and put a new diaper on him but he just kept saying, cold momma cold. So he climbed up by himself in the big bed and I went up there with him to put a diaper on him and then the next thing I knew, I saw his eyes roll back in his head. I KNEW what was happening. A febrile seizure. I dont want to say thankfully I knew what to do and to NOT freak like I did when Hannah had her first one but I did know what to do. I rolled him on his side and rubbed his back (as calmly as I could stay). I yelled for my mom and she ran upstairs. I could not even believe it was happening. I thought we were in the clear since Hannah's were when she was much younger but I guess not. I remember looking at the time to time it, and then noticing how blue he was. I do not remember Hannah being that blue. He was barely getting air and so much was coming out of his mouth it was so hard to watch. Thankfully my mom did way better than I did. My dad was calling 911, I was calling 911 (they have TERRIBLE service in the house so all our calls kept dropping) then I finally got through. I hate to say I could hardly watch it but I really couldnt. It was awful and so much worse than Hannah's. I know it was at least 3 mins, and it was torture. The ambulance had been sent and we were just waiting. It finally ended and he was asleep instantly.

I know if we had been here we would've put him in the car and taken him to a childrens hospital and not called 911. However, we had no clue where the nearest hospital was, and I was so scared by how little air he had gotten so it was a mothers reaction to call. We got him in the ambulance and my mom was going to follow. I knew and had peace he was ok, but it was so traumatic. I cannot even imagine parents that have to watch their children go through worse. They took us to the nearest childrens hospital- 30 miles away. My mom talked Hannah through what was happening (she was playing so happily in the shower she didnt even know what happened). One of the funny parts- even though I wasnt laughing at the time, the exact same fire fighter who came for the gas leak was the FIRST one to walk through the door for Owen's seizure, not funny then but we can chuckle now!

Anyways, long story short we got him settled at the hospital, he was mad and screaming. I dont blame him, his brain waves had just undergone serious trauma. After a long night, they couldnt find anything wrong and they assumed a virus. Which is the most annoying diagnosis but there really wasnt any other signs. Flu test was neg, and his ears were fine. No clue where this came from!!
 my heart broke for him.
The only thing different was that he slept more the next few days, but that was it!

The next morning we had reservations for Hannah to ride a pony at the equestrian center, I had not slept a wink the night before, I was so worried about Owen and he was still so hot. But I really wanted to see Hannah ride Blossom. Owen was adamant about coming too. I really didnt want him outside but he bounced back and wasnt taking no for an answer. So Lindsay and I took the kids, it was so cute. She loves going up there and getting to see the horses. 






She LOVED being able to walk Blossom back to her stall. She loves getting to do this!

That was New Year's Eve so we just took it easy after that, we had all been through alot! I went to bed early that night but Hannah was a trooper and stayed up with everyone else. Owen was still a little tired and groggy so we crashed early. I hated missing New Year's countdown with Hananh but the tv had gone out so they had to watch the countdown on Elise's phone! Just one of the MANY things that had gone out while we were there! We spent a week without TV and internet. It was actually kind of refreshing!

So we woke up New Years day, I had planned to cook a big breakfast for everyone. Alex and I were the only ones downstairs. My dad came out of their bedroom, he looked a little shaky. I didnt really think anything of it because I know with all the things he has going on, cancer, ruematoid arthritis, etc. that he's not always balanced when he first gets up. He came out of the pantry and dropped his coke. I looked over and didnt think much of it. Alex kind of stood up to get it for him, but after a few tries he picked it up. He knew it was going to be shaken up so he came over to the kitchen sink. I was next to him making breakfast and then I heard a loud clank. He dropped the coke in the sink. I looked over and I noticed the whole left side of his face was droopy and his left arm was just hanging there. He was leaning against the kitchen counter to hold himself up. I said, Dad are you having a stroke???? I couldnt believe it. Alex got right up to get him and I ran to get my mom. She jumped up and we got him back to bed. I knew they needed to go to the hospital but you know men, they are pretty darn stubborn. We made him do the stroke tests and he wasnt doing very well. We know the first hour is most important but we missed that window. So they got ready to head to the ER, its just hard because its takes a while to get there. So we were all on pins and needles waiting to hear from my mom.  
Alex and Elise were flying out that day so Linds and Matt took them to the airport and stopped by the hospital to see him. At this point he was still in the ER. It turns out he did have stroke and he had actually had one the day before too. After running all kinds of tests, it turns out his right carotid artery is 100% blocked. SCARY STUFF. I am for one, so thankful I watched him have a stroke or he never wouldve told anyone. Yes, he is that stubborn :) But we also got all kinds of new information that saved his life. I think if he had gone untreated, it would have been bad news. 
So with this blocked artery and the stroke, they cant operate and they won't ever. It scares me to death knowing he has a 100% blocked MAIN artery and cannot operate. But he is under great care and will take it easy, right dad? Ha, yea right! He had a stroke on Thursday and was playing golf on Tuesday. No, Im not joking! But like Jeremy said, he doesnt blame him! We've gotta live our lives ya know!

So thankfully my mom was able to come home and get some rest, he was being admitted and would stay at least 2 days. I was glad he was there, I know he wasn't though :) 

We flew out Friday as hard as it was to leave, we needed to get the kids back to their routine. The flight was one of the worst...it was pretty rough. But there are worse things! That's what I kept telling myself!!

 I find all kinds of Hannah selfies on my phone :)
 Feeling more like himself!
 Smart boy, made a bow and arrow out of sticks on our walk!
 She LOVED playing in the shower!
 They both fell asleep on the first flight. I PAID for that on the second one!!

Christmas got "unpacked" by the kids! Im still cleaning up Christmas!

It was a crazy trip. So many things that made us all realize life is short and things can change in an instant. Makes you love and appreciate so much more!! We leave for the beach again in 3 weeks, Im not sure the last flight is far enough removed from my memory though!!




No comments: