Wednesday, February 3, 2010

this is only a moment

My moms friend gave me the perfect article for where we are at in our lives right now, and I couldnt have read it at a more perfect time. Kaethe was sweet enough to pull this article for me and gave it to me the other night. I tucked it into my purse intending to read it that night but time got away from me and I hadn't had a chance to read it. Today, Jeremy and I had Hannah's 2 week check up, then afterwards I had a doctors appointment, so to kill about 30 minutes between appointments we headed to starbucks and got some much needed caffiene! I pulled the article from my purse and began to read. It brought tears to my eyes because after an exhausting night with Hannah, I realized that "this is only a moment, not the rest of your life". Hannah decided to wake at 1:45 and not go back to bed until 5:30. That is the longest stretch she has been awake at night and we were not expecting it. I found myself so worked up, anxious and very frustrated. I was thinking the exact things she was thinking- Im going to be so tired tomorrow, I need to get back to bed, Poor Jeremy has to get up for work....among other things. What I should have done was take a minute to calm down and even though it wasnt the easiest moment, it wasnt going to last forever and she would eventually go back to bed (even if it was 4 hours later). I loved this article because it is so true, eventually Hannah wont want to be seen with us- we wont be "cool" enough, she'll be locking us out of her room, and soon enough she wont want me to pick out her cute outfits and hair bows. I need to take time to enjoy the sweet moments, the amazing moments and even the hardest moments. Because they may last, only for a moment.
I can only hope at 2:00 in the morning I remember- "this is only a moment, not the rest of your life".


1 comment:

Bethan Flynn said...

I love this - please send to me about 4 1/2 months from now as a I think we may be needing the inspiration as well :)