Wednesday, March 23, 2011

another one....

yesterday I got a call from daycare- Hannah had a fever...we all assumed it was her teeth- she's getting some big ol molars and her gums look pretty swollen. So I stopped and got some Ibuprofen and we went home. She was NOT herself- she was very whiny and clingy. She didnt want to eat or drink- I even put her milk in a bottle- didnt want it! Thats when you know something is wrong! She would have moments like that and then moments where she was happy and would play. So all day we alternated tylenol and ibuprofen. We all sat down to have dinner- she was just so cranky and exhausted so right before I put her to bed I took her temp- about 6:30. It was 103.9. I had just given her tylenol at 5:00!! So if anything that fever should be down. That really made me nervous. I dressed her light and put her to bed. We woke her at 8 or so to give her another round of ibuprofen. Jeremy came in to me and said she felt so warm. So we called the nurseline just to be safe. As we were on the phone with them her temp was now 104! That just made us too nervous so we hopped in the car to head about 30 minutes to the after hours urgent care. We were about 3 minutes from home and I looked back and I couldnt see very well because it was dark outside but I could tell her paci had fallen out- that was weird. So I looked harder and she was having another seizure. Same type thing but this was really scary because I had no idea if we should stop and pull her out of the carseat but we just immediately decided to take her to the closest place. I was much calmer this time- I think it was good we were in the car- I couldnt run around the house like a crazy person. But it was really hard because Jeremy was driving and couldn't focus on her so I had to just sit there and watch. We were smart enough to look at the clock and it lasted just over 3 minutes. Terrible. We couldn't drive fast enough. We decided to go back to Kosairs (they know us by now!). We know these are common- it doesn't make it any less scary. I know we probably shouldn't run to the ER every time she has one of these but we both agreed they will probably be seeing us every time it happens! (Yes we are first time parents!). The real reason we had to go was because we had no idea why she had a high fever. Which was why we were going to urgent care. We needed to find the cause of the fever. So they did a chest x-ray and started an IV (SOOO SAD!) and took some blood. Turns out its pneumonia! AGAIN!!! We had no clue. She hasn't been coughing or anything!!! I feel so bad because all day I just kept saying it was her teeth. Poor H! They say its really early so they ran some antibiotics through her IV. Her blood work came back ok- so its just the pneumonia we have to worry about- well and her fever.
Its just so weird because after it happened we both looked at eachother and we were like- we just knew it. Its like as the night went on we had this feeling it was going to happen. Her fever just kept rising. When we got to Kosair they took her temp and it was 104.7!! This was still rising even an hour after Ibuprofen. Thats what scared me.
Again shes a trooper. She hated the IV- I don't blame her. I could barely watch but by the end of our stay she was getting a little spunkier. She even re-set the whole antibiotic machine. That's our Hannah :)

We had a babysitter lined up for today so I could get into work but Im going to be home with her- if it was just her teeth I wouldn't mind but its so much more than that.

This is just scare that I know we are always going to have to keep an eye on.

Look at that sad little IV hand :(

Her bunny gets her through everything :)

2 comments:

{Amanda G} said...

I'm so sooty this happened to sweet Hannah! But at least you know what to expect this time. Is there anything I can do?

Elizabeth and Jeremy said...

The second time was not as bad as the first (Im so glad we were in the car and in route to the hospital) but still so scary. I guess we just need to prepare for this to happen in the future :( I hate when she is this sick!!