Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Airplanes and Earthquakes!

We had absolutely the BEST trip to California! We saw alot of family, visited our old California favorites, had TONS of laughs and even had an Earthquake!!


Hannah ready for the airport!

Happiest girl on the plane!

Landed in CA! Look how much stuff it takes for 4 of us!

I first have to start off by saying how amazing Hannah did on the plane. At one point someone looked over and said- I didnt even know there was a baby on the plane! Thats how quiet she was! She was sleeping, eating, or smiling on all flights! What a trooper! We dragged that precious girl everywhere- and she didnt fuss at all! We had a slight problem with the bottles on both flights- apparently the air pressure on the plane caused a leak in the bottles and spilled milk everywhere! It was messy! And we had to throw away a couple bottles. So next time- we will know better!

We arrived on Monday morning around 11 am in CA, after being up for almost 12 hours we were exhausted! The time change takes a little getting used to- but we had the rest of the day to enjoy! We headed to In n Out burger-our first stop, then to get manicures and pedicures! It felt great to relax! I had so many extra hands for Hannah I was able to relax and catch up on celebrity gossip through my entire pedicure!


Auntie Meg & Aunt Kel first get their hands on Hannah!
Our Favorite!
The two Hannahs!

Tuesday we shopped some more, grabbed lunch and then met some of my moms side of the family for an awesome dinner at a barbecue restaurant. Some of the best BBQ we've had! In California to say the least! My moms cousin has a 4 year old daughter named Hannah with brown hair and blue eyes just like our Hannah! She is so beautiful! Im not so sure our Hannah will keep her blue eyes though!

Wednesday the girls were going to head to Disneyland and I was going to stay back with my mom and Maureen but after much thought and with the help of my two babysitters I decided to join in! When it comes to Disneyland-Im like a big kid! I just LOVE it! I have some of the best memories from Disneyland- especially with my dad. He would ride roller coasters with us until the park closed. We would run through the Splash Mountain line- ride it and run right back through! Splash Mountain is my favorite ride at Disney- but you get pretty soaked so the girls would only ride it with me if we wore ponchos! Ha! We still got soaked though! The neatest part of our Disney trip was Club 33. Walt Disney created Club 33 as an exclusive restaurant for members. Membership is $10,000+ a year and there is like a 10 year waiting list to even become a member. Really you just get a really nice meal! Megan works for Allstate and because their corporation is a member they can get tickets. So we had our exclusive lunch filled with steak, shrimp and a dessert bar then headed out to the Happiest Place on Earth! I will say by 8:00 we were ready to go! We sure can't do it like we used to! I missed Hannah anyways so I didnt mind leaving :) I absolutely love that the 4 of us girls can just pick up like old times. Lindsay and I grew up next door to Megan and Kelly. Im the oldest, then Megan, Lindsay then Kelly. They are our second family and couldnt be more thankful for them! They are always such amazing hosts when we travel out to CA because they are so sweet to take us to our old favorites. Even if that means 3 trips to In-n-out (yes I should never eat red meat again!) or letting us have their cars to travel to San Diego or Kelly giving up her bed for me (she knows how much I love her bed so she is so sweet to sleep on a blow up bed for me!) We LOVE them!
Thursday we did a little more shopping- and headed to our old neighborhood pizza place. It was delicious! We drove by our old house and our old elementary school. Its funny how small everything seemed. We moved back to Kentucky when I was 10, so alot had changed!

Friday we headed to San Diego to see my grandparents on my dads side. We have the best memories from their house- The Stocking tower at Christmas, searching for the Easter Bunny, and boat rides on the lake. They are 86 and 92, so meeting Hannah was such a joy for them! I am so glad they were able to meet eachother! Saturday we had family over to Grammy and Bumpahs and caught up like old times. We didnt miss a beat! My Grammy and Bumpah are such neat people- Bumpah was a pilot for American Airlines and retired 33 years ago- and Grammy is the most beautiful soul, inside and out. I love listening to their stories. Bumpah was telling us that his American Airlines employee number is 1056- they are now in 6 digits! When he tries to use his AA number the system doesnt recognize it because its so small! We love hearing how flying used to be- they served steak in first class!

Grammy & Bumpah!
The view from their backyard!


Sunday was also a big day- it was Easter (we were able to dress Hannah up for some cute Easter pictures), we had an EARTHQUAKE!, and Hannah rolled to her side from her back! Grammy and Bumpah were the first ones to see it! And no, Hannah didnt roll from back to side because of the earthquake! Ha! My mom and I were sitting on the couch, Bumpah in his chair, and Grammy in the kitchen. I was feeding Hannah and noticed a slight rumble. Living in CA we had plenty of Earthquakes- I remember getting underneath the kitchen table or getting in bathtubs or doorways. This one started out slow and at one point my mom and I looked at eachother and I said- we're having an earthquake. My Bumpah noticed his water shaking and Grammy held tight in the kitchen. CA has so many earthquakes they are usually small and somewhat unnoticeable. Not this one. I grabbed Hannah and headed for a doorway- I was scared the Angel figurines would fall from the shelf above. My mom was so calm and cool about it- but after the quake picked up she headed for the doorway too. It was SO shaky! I cant believe nothing fell. It lasted for about 30 seconds which is pretty long! We turned on the news after it was done and they were reporting a 7.2 earthquake in Mexico. San Diego is about an hour from the border so we really felt it!

Bumpah and Hannah! How Sweet :)



My little Easter Bunny! We have to dress her up and take these pictures while we can :)
After the earthquake we were watching Hannah play on her mat. I was in the bathroom and mom was in the kitchen. Bumpah said to my mom, "Does she normally do that?" My mom asked what- and he said, "Roll from her back to her side!" WHAT? No she has NEVER done that! So my mom snapped pictures and I was able to see her on her side when I came out. I cant believe I missed it, but it was pretty neat that they were able to see it!
Sunday was a HARD goodbye! I dont think I have ever been able to say goodbye without a few tears. Its so hard being 2000 miles away. But we have great memories of our trip together and some beautiful pictures too!
I rolled to my side!

Monday we headed to some outlet malls and did alot more shopping! We bought so many clothes and received so many baby gifts we had to check another suitcase. My mom is always prepared though- she always packs an empty suitcase to bring back goodies!
Our trip was amazing. I absolutely LOVED sharing Hannah with everyone and everyone fell in love with her too. How can you not? I love that I was able to share another generation with my Grammy and Bumpah. I know they were so glad to meet her too! Leaving is always hard but it felt good to be home! I think Hannah agreed- she slept 9 straight hours! We both needed a great night sleep!
I go back to work on Tuesday- Im trying not to think about it. But I have alot to do before then! For now- Ill unpack and smile at the time we had. Jeremy was sure glad to see his girl at the airport!

No comments: