Monday, April 2, 2012

4 years ago (yesterday)

4 years ago yesterday my dad was diagnosed with Stage 3 throat cancer. Imagine that news on April Fools day?!? I am so beyond thankful and grateful that 4 years later he is here with us today. I know others dont always win the battle. And a battle it is. Over the last 4 years he has battled with so many side effects from the treatment- lets just say he barely eats anymore. His main source of nutrition is through Ensure supplement drinks. He has pretty much lost of all of his salivary glands, so he deals with a dry mouth constantly. Could you imagine not being able to make your own saliva? Since radiation was right around his jaw he has lots of bone problems in his mouth. Thats just to name a few. His whole life changed and so did ours. But Im so thankful that 4 years out he is cancer free and all his scans have come back clear. We've had lots of ups and downs over the last 4 years with such a devastating disease. Everyone knows someone with cancer- its just not so rare anymore. I thank God each day that my dad is here to watch my kids grow up and watch me be a mother. There is nothing that makes me happier than my family. We continue to pray that his cancer never shows back up!

This weekend was productive and fun! We didnt spend the entire weekend working on the house which was so nice! We worked on getting some things done on Friday and Saturday morning then we cleaned up and had some friends over for the UK/UL Final Four match up. It was so fun to finally have friends over to our house that we have worked so hard on. We still have some big projects in the works but it just felt so good! UK will be heading to the final Championship game- as a UL fan I am very happy to see a team from KY in the final game. However, I will not be burning couches or turning cars over in celebration!!
Sunday Jeremys mom, sister and neices and nephews came into town. We took the kids to Gattiland and wore them out :) Hannah was exhausted! Both Saturday and Sunday night she was telling US that she was ready for bed. My sweet little sleeper!! Today she is heading back to Owensboro for a few days to spend with Jeremys family. I know she will have a blast and will enjoy lots of quality cousin time!! Im going to miss my little nugget but we plan on getting some things done around the house that are a little harder with a two year old and maybe a date! We havent had one of those in ages!

No comments: