Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the labor of love (for the second time!)

I can still remember writing Hannah's delivery story like it was yesterday. You can find that story here. It might be boring for most but I loved reliving every detail of that day. Obviously the birth of your child is one of the greatest events of your life and I like to have all those details here- for when I eventually print this blog one day! Owen's was a little different as it was a c-section and scheduled. Nothing like showing up to have a baby! I will say that was probably the best part- as there arent too many pros I can think of to a c-section. But on to the details of May 8th!
Jeremy and I arrived at 5:30 and quickly we got a room and they started IV's and asking what felt like 8 million questions. Overall it was a pretty quick process...they explained that they would take me back first for the spinal and operation prep and Jeremy would come in right before they were ready to cut. That made me a little nervous- I hated that he didnt get to be back there with me but there were plenty of nurses. The first thing they did after I walked into the operating room (which was almost a little creepy....it was so cold, sterile and there were tools everywhere!) but they got me ready for my spinal. I was SO nervous about this and have been since we chose to do this. They numbed the area first which was just a needle prick (not too bad and I hate needles) then they did the spinal. It was just an awkward feeling. Not painful just very weird. Nothing Id like to do on a daily basis. Then I started going numb and they were almost ready to operate. I thought the hard part was over. Then I kept having this urge to move my legs and body. Well when you cant move your legs and your awake its a very weird sensation. So weird that I kind of freaked out. I started crying because I felt so trapped. Ive tried to explain it to everyone and its just such a weird thing. I just kept saying that I felt trapped. Nothing I can really put into words but NOT FUN! The anestesiologist gave me some oxygen which I think made it worse. Cause then I had this mask over my face and I felt even more trapped. Finally Jeremy came in and they started to operate to get this handsome boy out! I had calmed down and felt better as they started to operate but then in an instant I felt this HORRIBLE feeling come over me. I felt like my blood pressure dropped and that I was about to pass out. I felt dizzy, weak and light headed. I looked over at Jeremy and said, Something is wrong. I said I cant see, Im dizzy...and then I heard the anesthesiologist say that he gave me morphine in my IV. I have no clue if had an allergic reaction or what, but it was so awful. I couldnt come around, I just couldnt shake this awful feeling.  My dr was giving us the play by play when his head was out, shoulders and everything else...of course I couldnt see a thing so all I remember asking Jeremy was, is he ok??? They finally showed me my sweet man and my heart melted all over again!! I kept saying, he has no hair!! And he actually does have hair- just not as much as Hannah did. There are times I think he looks like Hannah but then not really. He is cute as ever though. And what about him weighing LESS than Hannah! What a little peanut. I think Hannah was a bit overcooked...ha ha! He feels so tiny to me. I know it was two years ago but I feel like he is this itty bitty thing compared to her!
Jeremy was able to walk with two nurses to the waiting room to show our families our new addition and they worked to stitch me back up. They wheeled me into recovery and he was in there waiting for me. I got to hold Owen the whole time and feed him and just squeeze on another tiny newborn. I loved it! I felt absolutely awful and really was in a huge fog but loving on him made it so much better! We were in recovery for a while because I couldnt get any feeling back in my legs. They wanted me to be able to move my legs and that was near impossible. They were monitoring Owen and his temperature kept dropping so they went ahead and took him to the nursery. After about two hours and my legs still being very numb (guess I had a really good spinal) we headed to our room. I loved getting to go past the nursery to see him but I barely remember it as everything was so hazy. We finally got to be with our little guy and it was WONDERFUL! Everyone was there to see him and us and we got to enjoy our new addition! I spent the rest of the day reacting from the side effects of the medicine. I was throwing up crackers and itching TERRIBLY from the anesthesia. I seriously could have scratched my face off. I itched for days. They had some bendaryl and phenergen for me but I was so against having anything else that would make me drowsier than I already was. I was already so exhausted. Later that night Jeremy talked me into some benadryl because I swear my face was swollen. No more morphine for me!! Anyways....LONG story short I finally felt like a new person the next day and they took all the needles out of me and those darn circulation boots off. I hated those. They inflated and deflated every single 10 seconds. Just a totally different experience than Hannah. Not that I am against repeating it to get to the end result but it was NOT what I had imagined. I was so concerned with the pain after the surgery that I never once thought how I would feel from the actual medicine. Overall Im healing well from the incision. As long as I take my pain meds then I can get around pretty well. Overall the most pain is from coughing, sneezing or getting up from a chair- the stairs really havent bothered me. We are settling in very well and Hannah LOVES her little brother. I have to say how impressed I am with her. She has been a big help and loves holding him. Im very proud of her!!
We feel so full now that Owen has arrived- he has made our hearts so complete!! I will have more pictures once things calm down but for now just a few pictures. I feel like he already has the second child syndrome- I barely took any pictures in the hospital. Its just funny how different things are with a second! We arent relaxing as much with him- time is spent acclimating everyone to a brand new baby and all the things that come with!! Owen let us know he was here from about 11:45 pm to 3:30 am on the first night we were home! Talk about tired :) I thought we might be in for alot of sleepless nights! Now that we are at 2 weeks old Im very impressed with his nightly sleeping habits. He only wakes one or two times a night. The othernight he had a little trouble falling asleep but once he crashed at 11 he didnt wake back up until 3 and then again at 6 this morning. Thats a pretty good night sleep to me!

here is his sweet hospital picture!


 she loves touching his soft head!
 sweet big sister!
 little favors for hospital visitors- bags of swedish fish :)
 sweet baby boy!
she loves this guy!

No comments: