Wednesday, July 18, 2012

recipe recap and a few things around the house

I wanted to share a couple more of the recipes we've made lately. Going back to work (sooner than I thought) has made me want to come up with more creative, easy, fast and delicious dinner ideas. Our nights are chaotic as it is and we rarely get out of the house for dinner nor do we have enough time for a gourmet meal so we need fast dinner ideas. This past week we tried a couple new recipes. The first was crock pot buffalo chicken. I am ALL about a crock pot dinner, especially when I head back to work. This couldnt be easier! You throw in chicken, Franks hot sauce (quite a kick!) and a package of Hidden valley ranch seasoning. When I got home I shredded it and added a little butter and let it cook for an hour more. We had it on hoagie buns and they were delicious! So easy!! And what I think is the best part....we cooked once and ate twice- we made buffalo chicken tacos with the leftovers. There were a ton of leftovers. The tacos were awesome! So basically 2 dinners in 1!  Here is the recipe!

The next recipe we tried which I have to say was SOOOOO good and flavorful and something we will make alot! Ive had leftovers several times now. We made Sour Cream Enchiladas. Now the recipe makes them "skinny" which uses fat free sour cream but I used the regular kind. But I think sour cream is one thing that tastes the same fat free or not so I could have used it. These were so good. I am on a big cilantro kick and I love tomatos and green chiles. I highly reccomend this! However I used corn tortillas because flour tortillas dont really make it "enchiladas" but they kind of back fired on me. They were too small and didnt fold right. I guess next time Ill use bigger flour tortillas. I also used a rotisserie chicken because I hate cooking chicken. Regardless it was awesome- I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Here is the recipe!

Onto the house! Ive been on a major kick to get things done around here- not the real important things that need to be done like finishing the master bath or painting the master bedroom but fun stuff. Ive been busy trying to get it all decorated. So here are some new things around the house.
Hannah's Tee Pee/Reading Nook. She loves it!! Who knows what we will find in there. Her new thing is to get into the kitchen utensil drawer and take spatulas and big spoons to her play kitchen. I guess Ill know where to look the next time Im making dinner! The other night I found her paci in an oven mitt...I got a great laugh! We are going to make pillows with the leftover fabric.

 I also found these ADORABLE little buckets from Target in the DOLLAR section! Awesome find. So I got a curtain rod and some hooks and hung this above her table to fill it with crayons and markers. It turned out so cute!
 We have this great unit in the playroom form IKEA and Im trying my best to make it look more organized instead of just a ton of toys shoved in it. Its not that easy! I have no idea where we accumulated so much stuff! We got some black bins at TJ Maxx and I framed a couple pieces of her art. The Hand picture is what she made me for Mothers Day at school. Ill never forget getting that because it was the day we brought Owen home from the hospital and she RAN in the house with it and gave it to me. I cried right there!!
 Ever since we got the new quilt in the master Ive been on a kick to redecorate in there. Not necessarily change a bunch of things but just add more color. I found these lampshades on Target.com and since I have my new Target RedCard (which if you dont and you shop there as much as I do then you have to get one!) Its not a credit card- its actually linked right to your debit account but you get 5% off every purchase and always get free shipping online. These arrived very quickly and I am in LOVE. This is my new favorite pattern and I kinda L.O.V.E this gold too.

The landing at the top of our stairs is in need of some decorating so we hung this the other day. I saw an idea on Pinterest to get these boards from Hobby for $2.99- paint them and mod podge a picture on them. I LOVE them!! I plan on getting more of these in all different sizes and painting them colors to match our bedroom and add pictures. I am overwhelmed with all the pictures I want around the house and surprisingly I am running out of wall space. I dont know how that can be!!
My mom and I went to Home Goods today (can you believe this was my first time there and Ive been off work for 10 weeks!) We found SO many great things for the dining room. Im excited to get that room checked off the list! Ill have pictures once we finish it. But here is one of the things we found- I fell in love when I saw this. Right up my alley!! They had a ton of antique, "vintagey" looking things.

So thats a bunch of random things we've been doing and eating!! Hope everyone is enjoying their week- Im trying to accomplish as much as I can in the next 2 weeks!

No comments: