Wednesday, March 21, 2012

taking a step back

2 posts in one day! Im on a roll :)

My mom sent me this blog article last night which I just read. It was something I needed to read this week after many trying evenings with Hannah. When people ask how old she is, we always tell them she is two and REDEFINING two. I ask my mom out of the four kids who is she most like...(I knew the answer to this question) and its definitely Alex. Sorry Alex! But no really, I was 8 when Alex was born so I remember his terrible twos, and three's and fours. Stubborn, strong willed, independent. You name it. But of course we love this child more than life itself...there are just some nights that 7:45 sounds really good for a bed time. For me and her. The past couple of nights have been no exception. Lets just say it starts right about the time I pull out of daycare. I either dont have the right snack, the song isnt right (even when I turn on the exact song she asks for), the sun is in her eyes or you name it. It could be a million things. But this girl knows her mind and she knows what she wants and wont take anything else. The minute we walk in the door there is usually a melt down because her pre-dinner snack is not the one she wants. Whew. It doesnt take much to set her off. I dont know if its because she is two, or that her molars might be bothering her, or that she might have a small case of low blood sugar and she needs a snack but whatever it is, we pay for it! I bought pediasure this week to give her that boost of protien she needs right as she walks in the door and Im not even sure strawberry flavored pediasure works. She's never really had anything other than milk and water so I thought she'd love it. Only on her time I guess. So anyways...the point of my post- not to sit here and talk about how hard some nights are and how I could cry that the BEST part of her day is spent with someone else (talk about working mothers guilt!) but I liked this article because as wrapped up as I get in trying to turn Hannah into a very well behaved two year old and figure out how Jeremy and I should parent and discipline our children, it felt good to read that sometimes we just need a breather. To step back and instead of automatically disciplining or getting so wrapped up in a stressful situation. Sometimes the situation might best be handled by truly realizing how lucky we are to have a beautiful, healthy toddler that may throw a {huge} fit from time to time. Or how lucky I am to have such an awesome, hardworking husband, and a beautiful new house and food on our table. Are we perfect parents? By NO means. Does Hannah sometimes eat breakfast in front of the TV? Guilty as charged. I know we wont ever be perfect but we will do the best we can to raise our kids in a loving, happy home. The most important thing should be connecting with our kids and Jeremy. Everything else can wait. Even on our most tired days, which I feel like I am tapped out when I get off work and I know some of my most tired days are to come. But making my family a priority should be my priority.
Not sure if this article will touch anyone else but we all have those moments where things get so stressful that sometimes walking away or just taking a huge breather is a much better remedy than trying to tell a 2 year old she needs to sit in time out- sometimes its not worth the fight! Next time, Im just going to go over and give her a big fat hug. That will probably make her even more mad :)

http://creativewithkids.com/connection-points-when-youre-exhausted/

No comments: